The Best of Panama 2009 cupping event took place May 7 thru May 9, in the highland town of Boquete. A select panel of international judges led by Ric Rhinehart, Head Judge of the event and Executive Director SCAA cupped and scored the coffees. International judges in attendance were: Willem Boot (Boot Consulting), Tracy Allen (Brewed Behavior), Chino Lizano (Deli-Café), Francisco Mena (Exclusive Coffee's SA), Mette-Marie Hansen (Kaffa), Doug Welsh (Peet's Coffee), Bob Williams (roastmasters.com), Thompson Owen (Sweetmaria's), Wendy DeJong (Tony's Coffee), Barry Levine (Willoughby's Coffee), Jeremy Tooker (Four Barrel Coffee), Mike Ebert (President SCAA) and Phil Anaker (Flying Goat Coffee).
On behalf of the Specialty Coffee Association of Panama, I would like to thank these judges for the time, effort and expenses associated with participating in this event. The SCAP membership and coordinators are deeply grateful!
At the end of the day, the following coffees resulted with the highest scores, and will be auctioned on May 28th, 2009, in the Best of Panama internet auction. Those interested can go to http://coffee.stoneworks.com to register for the auction and request samples.
1. ESMERALDA SPECIAL 93.06 pts. HACIENDA LA ESMERALDA 350 lbs.
2. GEISHA CARLEIDA 91.10 pts. FINCA CARLEIDA (CAFÉ GRANJA LA ESPERANZA 450 lbs.
3. PACAMARA DON JULIAN 89.79 pts. GEA BURNESKY / GONZALO ROJAS 550 lbs.
4. PASO ANCHO 89.33 pts. CARLOS AGUILERA FRANCESCHI 350 lbs.
5. CARMEN 89.17 pts. MIRZA DE AGUILERA 350 lbs.
6. ELIDA ESTATE RESERVA # 1 87.63 pts. LAMASTUS FAMILY ESTATES 350 lbs.
7. CAFÉ OLE, S.A. 87.29 pts. CAFÉ OLE, S.A. 350 lbs.
8. DON K 87.00 pts. CAFÉ KOTOWA 350 lbs.
9. CATUAI VALENTINA 86.54 pts. EFRAIN OSORIO / BENJAMIN OSORIO 450 lbs.
10. CAFÉ DON PAULINO 86.40 pts. CASA RUIZ, S.A. 550 lbs.
11. FINCA LERIDA / ESTATE COFFEE 86.04 pts. LERIDA ESTATE COFFEE AND TOURIST CO. 350 lbs.
12. CALLEJON ESTATE 84.88 pts. LUCRECIA DE ALVARADO 400 lbs.
13. PANAMARIA RESERVA ESPECIAL 84.79 pts. CASA RUIZ, S.A. 550 lbs.
14. PANACOFFEE 84.63 pts. HECTOR VARGAS 500 lbs.
15. LOS LAJONES ORG. HONEY # 2 84.48 pts. GRACIANO CRUZ 450 lbs.
16. FINCA LAS JJJ COFFEE 84.42 pts. JESUS ANTONIO VASQUEZ 350 lbs.
Specialty Coffee Association of Panama