New SSR on LM Linea

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

New SSR on LM Linea

Postby HD on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:43 pm

I've one of those newer PID'd Lineas where the PID (ERO electronics) is driven by a very clicky magnetic contactor switch. The MCS is located very close to the steam boiler so it has a rather short life eventhough I've applied lots of heatsink compound to it.

Anyhow, my current relay is close to its end and the LM distributor here in Sydney won't sell me another one unless I buy the whole PID kit with it. So I got from somewhere else a solid state relay with 4-32VDC input (from PID) with a load of 40A 240VAC. I hooked it up and nothing happens - instead of picking up, the brew bolier temp is slowly dropping. Anything I missed?

Cheers
Hazel
Hazel de los Reyes
Coffee Alchemy
HD

Re: New SSR on LM Linea

Postby roger on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:47 pm

I am pretty sure that non US La Marzocco machines were equipped with a mechanical relay vs. the solid state relays found here. Your description of the "clicky" contactor reinforces that opinion. My guess is that you bought the wrong replacement relay. The output from your PID may not be compatible with the solid state relay.

What is the output from the ERO unit?

Maybe someone better versed on non US La Marzoccos could confirm.
roger
roger

full name: Roger Wittmann
company: La Marzocco USA
: http://www.lamarzoccousa.com

Postby HD on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:20 am

roger wrote:My guess is that you bought the wrong replacement relay. The output from your PID may not be compatible with the solid state relay.

I'm suspecting that too. Trawling through the ERO manual. Many thanks.

Cheers
Hazel
Hazel de los Reyes
Coffee Alchemy
HD

Postby Robert Goble on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:09 am

Can I say that I'm surprised your local dealer is not stepping up here. What gives?

R.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

full name: Robert Goble
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com

Postby HD on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:59 pm

roger wrote:The output from your PID may not be compatible with the solid state relay.

Problem solved. Found the right SSR with compatible PID input, and it's a lot quieter now too. Thank you. Now I just have to figure out a less hellish spot to place the SSR.

H
Hazel de los Reyes
Coffee Alchemy
HD