Adding hot water valve to a Linea

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

Adding hot water valve to a Linea

Postby phaelon56 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:06 pm

I have a non-coffeed member friend who is looking to add a hot water valve to his recently acquired refurb'd 4 group Linea in anticipation of opening a second shop. It's a Tagex sourced machine that was once a Starbucks unit and therefore never had a hot water valve.

My Tagex four group - which remains on the bench pending completion - is circa 2001 and already has an extra capped opening on top of the boiler that appears to be the logical place to add a feed tube for hot water (back when Franke was ESI they told me I could easily make the conversion if the capped outlet was on there).

Could he add a tee in the line that supplies the right side steam arm and get hot water that way - provided that he doesn't try to use the steam wand while he's dispensing hot water?
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Re: Adding hot water valve to a Linea

Postby paul_pratt on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 am

No you can't do that because to get water you need a pick-up tube that extends down to the bottom of the boiler. The pick up tube is easy to fabricate if you have a pipe flaring tool.

The only way to do it is to lose the right steam valve or lose the sight glass by using their fittings.

New steam boiler from Franke?

Paul
paul_pratt

full name: Paul Pratt
company: Cafelat

Postby phaelon56 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:54 am

Yes... I think a new steam boiler might be the answer. I'm not sure he'd want to lose the sight glass and I already suggested he drop the right steam arm but he expects some volume and plans this machine to be set up so two baristas could work it - one on each side - when he has a rush.

Something else just occurred to me though. This machine has the Chronos keypads. Isn't the fourth keypad different on machines that have hot water? I know the hot water switch control ribbon cable plugs into the fourth keypad - which then allows it to talk to the brain. Is that keypad different than the ones used on the other groups? I recall seeing a parts listing for a keypad that showed a "hot water keypad" that was different than the others.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby roger on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Hello Owen,

All Chronos keypads came with the second hot water connector which is quite funny as most Chronos machines were not equipped with the hot water valve. Normally only the left most keypad would have the second smaller connector.

Too bad that your friend doesn't have the same boiler layout that you do.

RW
roger
roger

full name: Roger Wittmann
company: La Marzocco USA
: http://www.lamarzoccousa.com

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:42 am

Agreed - yes it is too bad. But I'm not giving up my four group without a struggle :wink:

He's now looking at having a small on-demand point-of-presence hot water system adjacent to the machine with a small faucet and drain. His intended use if rinsing portafilters but IMO his volume will be such that he could just balance use of the left and right boiler and rinse them with water form the brew groups. if usage is balance correctly.

Perhaps even better would be to add a preheat for the brew boiler and PID the darn thing but I think that's more than he's up for at the moment.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby roger on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Installing hot water on your machine is rather straight forward. The only struggle would be to make sure your parts list is complete. :wink:
roger
roger

full name: Roger Wittmann
company: La Marzocco USA
: http://www.lamarzoccousa.com

Postby phaelon56 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 am

Installing hot water on your machine is rather straight forward. The only struggle would be to make sure your parts list is complete. :wink:

I agree on all counts and I'm sure he'll have no issue getting parts 8) but he doesn't want to give up either of the two steam wands and there's no pre-existing opening on the tank to add a hot water outlet. My 4 group is about one year newer than his and has the capped outlet (and I already have the parts on hand to convert it but alas.... it's far down on my list of projects to be completed).
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56