Single Origin on the LM GS3... in one word.

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

Single Origin on the LM GS3... in one word.

Postby Mark Prince on Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:47 am

Amplification.

And I'm not sure if I'm liking it. It's showing some real bad stuff in beans that you barely get in cupping or other evaluation methods.

I've not had a good shot yet on the LM GS3 using SO coffee. Trying more all week and next. We'll see. It might be time to break out some Yemen Matari and put shame to these over-acidic, purse your lips centrals I've pulled today and yesterday.

This could very well be my own bias against SO's as espresso speaking. Very individualistic notes in the tastes - the good and the bad from the beans.

I just need to end by saying this: long live the master blender / roaster. I love you ;)

Mark
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby Alistair Durie on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:23 am

I've got some of 'that Sidamo' that the Stumpies have been raving about if you'd like to try, roasted on the 11th so get some quick.

but you're just not a SO guy, you know that.

I had a few shots of Panama Carmen Estate tonight. Increadable experience.
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby Jimmy Oneschuk on Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:11 am

what would you suspect is the cause of the amplification? which SO coffees have you tried with it yet, and what roast levels were they at?
Jimmy Oneschuk

full name: Jimmy Oneschuk
company: Museo
: espressolab.ca

Postby malachi on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:36 pm

I pulled some shots of a Peru Penachi (what I'd call Full City roast) from Olympia Coffee yesterday.

Really, really lovely shot. Tons of brown sugar and blackstrap molasses. Cocoa, dark chocolate, plum syrup, leather, grape skin. Super sweet and heavy.

Sadly, I've never tasted it on another machine to compare - but it was still a nice SOS.
Chris Tacy -- (ex)Barista
http://godshot.blogspot.com/
malachi

full name: chris tacy
company: [No Longer Involved in Coffeed]

Postby malachi on Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:39 pm

The GS3 seems to reproduce flavours with great accuracy and definition. This is a wonderful thing when you are working with beautiful coffees. But it can be a horrible thing when your beans could use a little "cover-up makeup" (if you know what I mean).
Chris Tacy -- (ex)Barista
http://godshot.blogspot.com/
malachi

full name: chris tacy
company: [No Longer Involved in Coffeed]

Postby Tim Dominick on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:40 pm

malachi wrote:I pulled some shots of a Peru Penachi (what I'd call Full City roast) from Olympia Coffee yesterday.

Really, really lovely shot. Tons of brown sugar and blackstrap molasses. Cocoa, dark chocolate, plum syrup, leather, grape skin. Super sweet and heavy.

Sadly, I've never tasted it on another machine to compare - but it was still a nice SOS.

The coffees from Northern Peru are well-suited for espresso. The Penachi I've seen is bourbon and typica from older plants. Was it from CECANOR Cooperative by chance?

Also, Neueva York, Agua Azul and San Antonio, which contribute to the Penachi mark have some coffees suited for SO shots.

I've always taken them to the first few pops of second crack. Body-intense and very balanced. Maple, sweet fruit and silky mouthfeel.
Tim Dominick

full name: Tim Dominick
company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
: www.sacred-grounds.com

Postby terry on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:57 am

Hey Tim,

Yes the Penachi we (Olympia Coffee roasting Co.) roast is from the CECANOR Co-op. It is a wondeful SOS, one of my current favorites.
Terry Z
Espressoparts.com
Olympiacoffee.com
terry