fizzy milk... because of the machine?!?

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

fizzy milk... because of the machine?!?

Postby nick on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Long story short: at the new shop that I'm working with, there are two different espresso machines from two different manufacturers. One, when you steam milk, the milk is fizzy. Not so on the other. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Could the steam boiler water level be too high or too low?

I haven't done any experimentation (or adjustments) yet, but I'm stumped so far. I've never seen this before. In my experience, fizzy milk comes from bad milk... but that's not the case with this. Any thoughts, folks?
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Re: fizzy milk... because of the machine?!?

Postby JaanusSavisto on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Could it be of the steams content of water vapor? I´d imagine that in some circumstances wetter steam would have the foam collapse after steaming. Not sure of the chemistry behind it but had similar occurrences.
Caffeine. My drug of choice.
Jaanus Savisto
Tallinn, Estonia
JaanusSavisto

full name: Jaanus Savisto
company: OY Infomelton

Postby James Hoffmann on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:52 am

Were both machines filled at the same time from the same line through the same filter?

If you steam 1litre of milk on each machine are there significant differences in weight afterwards?
James Hoffmann

full name: James Hoffmann
company: Square Mile Coffee Roasters
: http://www.squaremilecoffee.com
: http://www.jimseven.com

Postby Emily Oak on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:47 am

have you checked the temperatures on the fizzy machine? I've seen this a few times with various reasons:

1. the temperature is set to low (on a heat exchange) and the water basically condenses into the milk damaging the texture (i think james was alluding to this?) rather than steaming the milk properly.
2. the steam tip is inappropriate or the angle at which the steam leaves the nozzle has an impact on the end result. if the holes are too large or the pressure too high it just basically fuzzles it all!
3. also if the steam pressure is too low it wont texture properly
4. the boiler is over-full, too much water will come out/not enough pressure/unbalanced.

Just observations i've dealt with in the past.
Emily Oak

full name: Emily Oak
company: Australian Independent Roasters
: www.airoasters.com

Postby DUrwiler on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:52 pm

I have worked with a couple of different machines that had a very small hole in the wand to inject air to produce more foam, I don't remember all the specifics, however I remember that covering the hole made a dramatic difference in the way it steamed (i.e. less fizzy) I wonder if a small leak at the top side of the wand would produce a similar effect?

Just a thought,

Dan
DUrwiler

full name: Dan Urwiler
company: Slayer Espresso
: www.slayerespresso.com

Postby IanClark on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 am

It could be a number of things already alluded to, however if it helps I resolved the same issue on one of our Synessos this morning by tweaking the high level fill probe to lower the water level in the boiler. Pretty easy 30 second fix on a Synesso - not sure about exactly how this is done on other machines.

Edit... sorry I didn't realize this was an old thread. Haha... I'm sure you've got lovely milk by now =)
Ian Clark
Bridgehead
Ottawa, ON
IanClark

full name: Ian Clark
company: Bridgehead
: www.bridgehead.ca