Brasilia Opus Sublima

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

Brasilia Opus Sublima

Postby Deferio on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Seems Brasilia is catching the temp stability bug...
Has anyone here had an opportunity to work with this machine?
If so, what are your thoughts?

link below:
http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2 ... ology.html
Chris Deferio

Shop Operations
Sunergos Coffee
Louisville, KY
Deferio

full name: Chris Deferio
company: Sunergos Coffee
: www.Sunergoscoffee.com
: www.defurious.wordpress.com

Re: Brasilia Opus Sublima

Postby Marshall on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:02 am

And the pressure profile bug.
Marshall Fuss
Lawyer
Pasadena, California
Member SCAA
Marshall

full name: Marshall Fuss
company: Marshall R. Fuss, Attorney at Law
: http://www.linkedin.com/in/fusslaw

Postby gscace on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:36 am

Deferio wrote:Seems Brasilia is catching the temp stability bug...
Has anyone here had an opportunity to work with this machine?
If so, what are your thoughts?

link below:
http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2 ... ology.html

A prototype was submitted for testing at the WBC machine trials in Jan 2008. It was technically quite interesting, Testers included Bronwen Serna, Heather Perry, James hoffman. I'm not sure if they'd divulge their opinions of the machine.

-Greg
gscace

full name: Gregory Scace
company: Espresso Research

Postby nick on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:07 am

gscace wrote:A prototype was submitted for testing at the WBC machine trials in Jan 2008. It was technically quite interesting, Testers included Bronwen Serna, Heather Perry, James hoffman. I'm not sure if they'd divulge their opinions of the machine.

-Greg

Not to be a party pooper, but it really wouldn't be appropriate for those folks to be divulging that stuff, at least not on a public forum like this.
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby Alistair Durie on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:07 pm

I was there, and I thought that machine was... oh yes Nick, you're right.
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby Deferio on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Why?
Was there some kind of confidentiality agreement signed?
Surely they are at liberty to state their opinions...public or not...it does not stop us from speaking of other machines and grinders here.
-cd
Chris Deferio

Shop Operations
Sunergos Coffee
Louisville, KY
Deferio

full name: Chris Deferio
company: Sunergos Coffee
: www.Sunergoscoffee.com
: www.defurious.wordpress.com

Postby gscace on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:59 am

nick wrote:
gscace wrote:A prototype was submitted for testing at the WBC machine trials in Jan 2008. It was technically quite interesting, Testers included Bronwen Serna, Heather Perry, James hoffman. I'm not sure if they'd divulge their opinions of the machine.

-Greg

Not to be a party pooper, but it really wouldn't be appropriate for those folks to be divulging that stuff, at least not on a public forum like this.

Prolly wouldn't.
gscace

Postby gscace on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:18 am

Deferio wrote:Why?
Was there some kind of confidentiality agreement signed?
Surely they are at liberty to state their opinions...public or not...it does not stop us from speaking of other machines and grinders here.
-cd

I'm not sure what was signed between the mfgrs and WBC, but the measurement results for all of the machines are only known by the WBC. The manufacturers were given the results for their specific machines only. Some mfgrs published their results, and others did not.

It's harder to keep confidentiality on qualitative testing. All of the testers formed valid opinions on all of the machines that were tested, and they of course took those opinions with them when the testing was done. I'd think that it's pretty unreasonable to expect folks to "forget what you've learned", and it's pretty unreasonable to think that people won't make decisions based on the knowledge that they gain.

It's tough to draw a line in the sand when it comes to testing results. For example, suppose you know of a technology specific to one manufacturer, and you keep the information confidential. Then, the manufacturer proudly announces their breakthrough to the world, making a public disclosure. It's in the public domain, now. Yet if you were a tester you prolly shouldn't weigh in on it based on your results from the tests. However, if you tried the machine on your own after the public disclosure, should you be free to talk about your experience? What if you own the machine? What does that mean? This is an ethical problem where I work. I see and test many different instruments in a way that's available to only a handful of folks in the world. So I know pretty well what the state of the current technology is, and how well it works in my technical field (humidity measurement). A semi- clear line in the sand can get drawn when discussing technologies. I often get asked what equipment someone should buy. I'm on safe ground when I suggest appropriate technologies for the purpose, although you can argue that I could still pick winners and losers based on technologies I like vs don't like. I'm on safe ground if I provide a list of manufacturers that use a specific technology, as long as I'm clear that I'm not recommending any one. If I recommend one over another, I'm in trouble. Here's where things get squishy. I'm allowed to talk freely about, and divulge the details of equipment that i own. I can tell you how it behaves, and what I like and dislike. But I can't tell you specifically to buy it. On the other hand, you could surmise that if I have a certain hygrometer (humidity measuring instrument) as a permanent fixture in my lab, then I think it's probably the best one so I've already as good as told you to buy it. How did I make that choice - from knowledge gained doing confidential tests, and from discussions among my peers, who also own these instruments and who also bought them based on results of confidential testing.

Dunno if that's useful or just a rant.

-Greg
gscace

Postby drew johnson on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:02 pm

john sanders, who can't remember his password, responds:

"This WBC Testing was held at my shop and I was Chair of the WBC Tech stds committee.
Willy Hansen and I selected a diverse group of industry folks to come and not only test for Temp stability but also functionality. We even tested the ability to clean the machine without anybody slicing their hand off. The people selected to help with this were also informed that this was a WBC Event and only the manufacturers were allowed to see and obtain their information.

NO ONE from the testing is allowed to talk about the results. That is solely up to EACH and every manufacturer.

And as Alistair states he did show up (but was not one of the testers) so his opinion would solely be his.

So if confidentality can not be guaranteed here the manufacturers will think twice about submitting their machines for testing in the future.

All in all it was a very successful event in which the participants all left with a greater understanding and appreciation of the individuality of each and every manufacturer.

Hope this clears thing up

Sanders"
Drew Johnson
hines/origins
drew johnson