calling out for advice

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

calling out for advice

Postby aaronblanco on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:22 pm

so i'm closing in on the home stretch for my coffee and espresso bar startup. looks like the money is lining up as per the lender's request, etc., etc., etc. (yea!)

i'm looking for a prosumer espresso machine that will be used pretty heavily about once a month (say, 300-500 drinks over a day) for a monthly event. the machine will also serve as a 'lab' machine the rest of the time.

because i will be buying a 3-group synesso for my bar i would love to get the synesso single group 110 (i'll need 110 at the monthly event). but it's too expensive for me at this juncture.

i've got it down to the andreja premium or the vibiemme domobar. i've read the coffeegeek, sweet maria's reviews on both. just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with either of these and can give any advice for/against either. ...or if there is another similar machine i should look at.

thanks.
Aaron Blanco, Invincible Coffee Spirit
aaronblanco

full name: Aaron Blanco
company: The Brown Coffee Company
: browncoffeeco.com
: Twitter: @browncoffeeco

Postby malachi on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:12 pm

It's going to be hard enough to swap back and forth between a home machine and a commercial machine. Choosing to use an HX machine for the home machine when you're using a Synesso on the commercial side is only going to exacerbate this frustration.
I'd try to source a dual boiler machine.

Also... keep in mind that peak usage if you're doing 500 drinks in a day is going to have some serious impact on the performance of this machine!
Chris Tacy -- (ex)Barista
http://godshot.blogspot.com/
malachi

full name: chris tacy
company: [No Longer Involved in Coffeed]

Re: calling out for advice

Postby Alistair Durie on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:22 pm

aaronblanco wrote:i'm looking for a prosumer espresso machine that will be used pretty heavily about once a month (say, 300-500 drinks over a day) for a monthly event.

500 drinks is one drink made every minute for 8 hours straight. that sure is a lot.

a.
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby Jimmy Oneschuk on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:08 pm

I agree. I've used by euro2000 for similar functions, and after about 10-20 drinks, you have absolutely no control over brew temp.

A home HX simply will not work well for those functions. Mark tested those machines for home load, not commercial load!

Consider finding a commercial single group HX machine - they're only marginally more expensive than the home units.
Jimmy Oneschuk

full name: Jimmy Oneschuk
company: Museo
: espressolab.ca

Postby barry on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:21 pm

jimmyo wrote:Consider finding a commercial single group HX machine - they're only marginally more expensive than the home units.

and only marginally more useful.

110v machines run out of steam very easily when pushed to capacity. i've yet to meet one that can keep up with me (and i'm not that fast).
barry

full name: T. Barry Jarrett
company: Coffee Projects Inc.

Re: calling out for advice

Postby Robert Goble on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:09 am

aaronblanco wrote:...i'm looking for a prosumer espresso machine that will be used pretty heavily about once a month (say, 300-500 drinks over a day) for a monthly event. the machine will also serve as a 'lab' machine the rest of the time.

because i will be buying a 3-group synesso for my bar i would love to get the synesso single group 110 (i'll need 110 at the monthly event). but it's too expensive for me at this juncture....

aaron -- what's the deal here? If you've got a gig one or twice a month catering high volume espresso, make sure you have 220V power access and make it happen with a single group Synesso ---- or just wait (and save your pennies by buying a 2 group for your bar) until the GS3 is available (announcement at Charlotte? shipping September? anyone?)

Because there's no way you'll be able to serve anywhere close to the coffee you could serve from your cafe without a proper machine --- what do you want to do? Serve 500 crappy espresso drinks a month to potential customers? Can you really afford to serve crappy coffee? Think about how this represents your brand and the efforts of your cafe. I don't like where you are going with this and as a business person I'd say rethink this -- the timing doesn't sound right at all.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

full name: Robert Goble
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com

Postby geir oglend on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:11 am

If you get market price for your drinks at this gig, you should rent a double machine and a generator or rig-up 220 v. somehow?!
Robert is right, the drinks still have to be the best they can!!
Keep your drink sizes small, 6-8 oz.
geir.
geir oglend

full name: geir oglend
company: drumroaster Coffee
: www.drumroaster.com

Postby aaronblanco on Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:20 am

excellent! the beauty of a forum is plain for all to see.

sorry i forgot to mention that rtd and brewed coffee is part of that volume. even so, everyone is right--a 220 setup and machine needs to be a reality. definitely small cups. but clearly, i'm still working through this monthly gig.

any recommendations for entry level commercial machines other than a 220 single synesso or a gs3 (that i can't even get yet)? portability is a factor since i may be taking this machine up a flight of stairs at the gig...which is probably why i originally was opting for those little machines.

'jimmyo' i seem to recall reading in an earlier post that you opted for a two group synesso? how is that working out for you? are you wishing for the three group?

thanks for taking the tunnel vision blinders off, everyone. i've been focusing so much on tight money considerations at the expense of performance.
Aaron Blanco, Invincible Coffee Spirit
aaronblanco

full name: Aaron Blanco
company: The Brown Coffee Company
: browncoffeeco.com
: Twitter: @browncoffeeco