scooting machine

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

scooting machine

Postby Jim Saborio on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:58 am

I am vexed by the gradual wandering of our 2 group espresso machine. At the start of the shift, I reposition it and it slowly crawls back to its favorite spot (against the wall) within a few hours.

The rubber sticky pads on the legs seem to have run their course... a course that took about three months before they got laden with espresso grinds and lost their stickiness.

Aside from a regular cleaning of the foot pads and weaker baristas, how have you all solved this issue? The grinders bug me too.

-JIm
-JIm

...aaannndd the Starbucks down the street just got a Clover
Jim Saborio

full name: Jim Saborio
company: Comet Coffee
: http://twitter.com/cometcoffee

Re: scooting machine

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:03 am

Can't speak to the issue of the machines as I've never seen this with Synesso or La Marzocco machines. I've used them on both formica and granite counters but the weight of the machine and the water in the boilers was always more than enough to keep them securely in place. An for grinders... if you can live with tapping some holes in your counter then run some long bolts with fender washers up through the counter form underneath and up into the four corners on the grinder base. Cut the bolts so they'll thread up through the rubber foot to replace the original screw that holds the foot on. I've seen this done with a Swift and it worked nicely.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby MarkG on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 pm

I feel your pain. We have a Macap grinder that wanders quite badly, which is odd because our other does not. Having not yet found a (non-counter destroying) way to prevent the movement we have developed a weird 'hand in the way' action aside the intergral tamper. Still can't work out why it's only a problem on the one machine.
Unaffiliated UK enthusiast
MarkG

Postby Sandy on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 pm

not sure what to do about the espresso machine, but i have found using anti-slip shelf liner works nicely to help eliminate the scooting grinder issue. taking it a step further, we'll usually rinse the liner with hot water before placing it on a clean surface, then set the grinder on top of it (the liner). The grinder stays in place for quite a while, at least until coffee begins to collect under the matting, slipping under our now dry water "seal".
Sandy Hon
supervisor, coffee bar operations
Johnson County Community College
Sandy

full name: Sandy Hon
company: Johnson County Community College

Postby Ric Rhinehart on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Wondering what to do with all those old logo mouse pads from back in the days of "mouse balls"? Great application for this and one mouse pad cut into 4 pieces will do an espresso machine, one whole one works for a grinder.
Ric Rhinehart

Postby paul_pratt on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:37 am

You could always try a very thin layer of silicone sealant on the machine legs. Just make sure they and the counter top is clean and dry and use a very small amount. Silicone is very strong but also doesn't do any permanent damage so you remove it all if need be.

Otherwise go with small rubber pads that you can buy in most homeware and hardware shops.

I like the mousepad idea, I think they are usually neoprene or EVA material. Nice and squishy.

The drawer liner idea is great as well, you can get some great drawer liners which are like a sticky mesh. Again nice and squishy and quite sticky.
paul_pratt

full name: Paul Pratt
company: Cafelat

Postby nick on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:14 am

You mentioned it, but keeping those rubber feet clean (and the counters clean) is the best way to keep everything happy and in-place.

When the easiest answer is "Keep everything clean!" and the response is, "What OTHER way is there?" maybe something needs some revisiting! :P
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby Andrew Hetzel on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:42 pm

I have velcro underneath all 4 legs of my 2-group Linea to keep it on the counter in case of earthquakes -- the shear strength of that stuff is amazing. It kept my machine in place during the 6.7 that hit in 2006, when the rest of my kitchen (and house for that matter) was practically destroyed. It also keeps the machine from wandering off of my composite countertop during regular use.
Andrew Hetzel
Cafemakers, LLC
Andrew Hetzel

full name: Andrew Hetzel
company: Cafemakers, LLC
: http://cafemakers.com
: http://twitter.com/HIflyer

Postby Sandy on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:40 am

keeping the area clean is definitely a high standard in our cafes, yet even first thing in the morning before the first coffee of the day is even served, our grinders will scoot if nothing is placed under the feet. Perhaps the material of the counter tops would have something to do with the scooting issue, materials such as corian or formica that are a synthetic material that includes plastics.

I dunno, but i know for sure, it's not necessarily due to lack of clean area.

i'm just sayin, that's all.
Sandy Hon
supervisor, coffee bar operations
Johnson County Community College
Sandy

full name: Sandy Hon
company: Johnson County Community College

Postby nick on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:53 pm

If you scrub the rubber feet clean and can get some of the tacky-ness back, and you have a clean counter free of crumbs, dead insects, chaff, silverskin, dead people skin, hair, teeth, toenail clippings, etc., you're usually more than 90% of the way there.

Those toenail clippings are slippery! :twisted:
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby Phil Proteau on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:39 am

Attach a small piece of trim on the counter tracing out the left, right and back side of the machine. A physical barrier will work the best I think. Use something that looks slick, or decorative, depending on your mood, and screw it to the counter. The feet will rest up against the trim and keep the machine right in place all the time.
Phil Proteau

full name: Phil Proteau
company: Counter Culture Coffee
: www.counterculturecoffee.com
: www.onionbean.wordpress.com