if you build it they will come?

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

if you build it they will come?

Postby aaronblanco on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:18 am

SL28ave wrote: What needs serious due attention is the farm, terroir, varietal, process, craftsmanship, luck and many other relevancies.... then beg the geeks to further help suit the machines to the beans.....

i wanted to explore this notion a little further, so i broke it out onto its own thread. i think you're right to place the attention first on farm, terroir, et al, because there is still so much more mystery than knowledge on the organic side of things.

the question i want to pose, though, is whether we suit the technology to the organics or vice versa. do you create the machine to deal with what the coffee presents or cultivate the coffee to perform on this or that machine?

my initial thought is that the bean is more volatile harvest to harvest, crop to crop within harvest and even within the same lot and bag over the course of time, versus a machine. how could the technology keep up with that?

on the other hand, technology is ever evolving and there's no way anyone should spend so much capital trying to cultivate beans to perform to a certain machine's sweet spots.

maybe i completely misunderstood what you were trying to say or aim at. but it's an interesting theoretical question nonetheless.
Aaron Blanco, Invincible Coffee Spirit
aaronblanco

full name: Aaron Blanco
company: The Brown Coffee Company
: browncoffeeco.com
: Twitter: @browncoffeeco

Postby SL28ave on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:06 pm

Thanks for putting a spotlight on this. I haven't even elaborated much about this in my own mind yet, so let's see where this goes

The quality of raw coffee is improving revolutionarily. The best raw coffees are more consistently ripe, fresh, processed well, dried well and are easier for roasters to find. As farmers hopefully become more empowered the quality of raw coffee will easily improve much, much further. It'd be like picking mangos ripe red from the tree and the local New England grocer offering them for the first time ever; certainly the consumer would buy these new mangos, right? I certainly hope so! So lighter roasts of the best beans, taken no further than the beginning of the sizzle, are now beginning to taste better than any time before.

I'm finding that these lighter roasts taste best at around 194F. The grinds are also much denser, so they work better with a smaller basket, along the lines of a 53mm La Spaziale..... and when done completely right, the result is still espresso, and is great and exciting!

That's the specific example that gave me enough energy to bring the concept up originally.

Coffee is still in its infancy. While I deeply respect the history, however full of countless variations of commoditized crap it is, the entire context (the constants) we work in should be revolutionized along with the raw coffee beans. I hope we'll fulfill this new opportunity as far as we can!
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student