vacuum breaker on your steam wand valve?

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

Postby scottlucey on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:30 am

i think there is no difference.
when mr. karr from intelly showed me their vac-breakers, it was on the FB.
we're using the same mod on a linea.
scott lucey
flickr
Milwaukee WI
scottlucey

full name: Scott Lucey
company: Kickapoo Coffee Roasters
: kickapoocoffee.com

Postby Mike Gregory on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:04 pm

Phil Robertson wrote:The alt.coffee thread that Nick referenced above eludes to a different steaming assembly on the FB-80.

Do you guys know if this issue is addressed on the FB-80?

...And if so, is there is a practical solution for retrofitting one onto a Linea?
Mike Gregory

full name: Mike Gregory
company: Independent

Postby Jimmy Oneschuk on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:43 pm

I found Simon's reply on the alt.coffee thread to be interesting. He mentioned they open their wands to a trickle of pressure, and leave the wand barely open when turning off the wand, to ensure that absolutely no milk comes in contact with the valve body during the entire process. He also added no amount of purging changes the fact that milk will come into contact with the valve body if you're fully turning off the wand before taking the wand out of the milk.

And on a side note, the valve body that is cleaned - is this the stack assembly (lay term!) that's removed from inside the steam wand knob?

My GB5 is definitely in need of this fix... my steam pressure is definitely down, as described by Nick - but I'm not getting any depreciation in quality other than what results from lower pressure. (IOW, not getting bubbly foam).

million thanks,
J
Jimmy Oneschuk

full name: Jimmy Oneschuk
company: Museo
: espressolab.ca

Postby paul_pratt on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 pm

Jimmy Oneschuk wrote:My GB5 is definitely in need of this fix... my steam pressure is definitely down, as described by Nick - but I'm not getting any depreciation in quality other than what results from lower pressure. (IOW, not getting bubbly foam).

million thanks,
J

Jimmy you may want to check the black grub screw inside the valve, this is an adjustment screw. It can be screwed away from you to increase steam volume and towards you to decrease steam volume. If you remove the cream coloured bezel insert on the valve knob you will see the black grub screw in the centre that is locked in place buy 2 hex nuts. I have known these to come lose and then the grub screw unscews and you get less steam pressure even though the gauge reading is normal. It should take a couple of minutes to play with.
paul_pratt

full name: Paul Pratt
company: Cafelat

steam wands

Postby andynewbom on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:22 am

so on our GB5 we have gone through a total of 6 completely new steam wand assemblies in the last 9 months. trying to fix this problem. The super sats at ESI/Franke came through like champs and finally got a vacumn breaker installed on each wand body and it has solved this very well. we still have to rebuild every two months but at least the wand does not completely stop working every month like before.

apparently we do so many 12 oz pitchers that the milk does indeed get sucked up into the valve. when we take it apart it is filled with milk on the inside. Now it is not as bad with the breakers. They have saved us an immense amount of headaches for sure.

did I mention that Jana at ESI/Franke is the coffee goddess for helping us with this?!!!
Andy Newbom
serious coffee.
andynewbom

full name: Andy Newbom
company: Barefoot Coffee

Postby Jimmy Oneschuk on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:34 pm

Hey Paul, I tried moving the grub nut - I ended up moving it as far as it will go before steam starts to exit the wand while the knob is in the closed position.

Andy - that's a ridiculous amount of steam wands... at 130 per complete assembly, that's like a cool grand.

I checked into the vacuum breaker wands - they're on backorder - but at 230 a pop, I'll try to fix this from other angles... :(
Jimmy Oneschuk

full name: Jimmy Oneschuk
company: Museo
: espressolab.ca

Re: vacuum breaker on your steam wand valve?

Postby Thom Cooper on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:43 am

This is something Tomas came up with. Nuova Ricambi part# 703831 Boiler vacuum valve 1/8"
Attachments
wandvacbreaker 002.jpg
wandvacbreaker 001.jpg
Thom Cooper

full name: Thomas Cooper
company: Gimme! Coffee
: www.gimmecoffee.com

Re: vacuum breaker on your steam wand valve?

Postby justinemerson on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:14 am

here is my two cents, a La San Marco machine doing about 10 crates of milk a day, we were cleaning out the wands every two-three weeks. i Installed the valves about three months ago and havent had to clean the wands out yet. We did it to one of our old Lineas as well, havent been back there to clean the wand out since. Also did some testing and found we could easily get the wands to "suck up" a bit over a cupping spoon full of milk! http://www.flickr.com/photos/coffee_supreme/sets/72157620895488980/
justinemerson

full name: Justin Emerson
company: Coffee Supreme
: www.coffeesupreme.com.au

Previous