WBC 2007 Finalists Announced

barista competitions, trade shows, jams, tastings

WBC 2007 Finalists Announced

Postby zacharycarlsen on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 am

Switzerland - Anna Kaeppeli
Watch her presentation

Brazil - Sylvia Magalhaes
Watch her presentation

United States - Heather Perry
Watch her presentation

New Zealand - Carl Sara
Watch his presentation

United Kingdom - James Hoffmann
Watch his presentation

Japan - Miyuki Miyamae
Watch her presentation
Last edited by zacharycarlsen on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zachary Carlsen
stumptown seattle
http://sprudge.com
zacharycarlsen
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:25 am
Location: Portland
full name: Zachary Carlsen
company: Sprudge

Postby zacharycarlsen on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:08 am

After a few hours of technical difficulties, Heather's performance is now up.
Zachary Carlsen
stumptown seattle
http://sprudge.com
zacharycarlsen
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:25 am
Location: Portland
full name: Zachary Carlsen
company: Sprudge

Postby Aldo1 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:47 am

Holy cow, zachary, AWESOME job. Thank you SO MUCH.
Melanie
Managing Owner, Aldo Coffee Co.
Pittsburgh, PA
Aldo1
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
full name: Melanie Westlerfield
company: Aldo Coffee Company
: http://www.aldocoffee.com

aldo

Postby zacharycarlsen on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:53 am

thanks, melanie!


can't wait until finals tomorrow...

stay up late for maximum bloggage.
Zachary Carlsen
stumptown seattle
http://sprudge.com
zacharycarlsen
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:25 am
Location: Portland
full name: Zachary Carlsen
company: Sprudge

Postby Rich Westerfield on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:08 am

Zachary,
While I still think there are more important messages to be aired than the competitions (as far as reaching out to consumers), I'm compelled to tell you that everyone at our shop is impressed with the volume and quality of stuff you've been able to film and upload in short order. Thanks for the pithy writeups as well as they allow us to enjoy the vids more without having to pay attention to the running commentary. Nice work.
Last edited by Rich Westerfield on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Westerfield, Co-owner
aldocoffee.com
I'm just here to regulate funkiness.
Rich Westerfield
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby nick on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 am

Rich Westerfield wrote:While I still think there are more important messages to be aired than the competitions (as far as reaching out to consumers)...

Thanks for reminding us of your position on this Rich, and picking this thread to do so. I had almost forgot.
Nick Cho
nick
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:15 pm
Location: San Francisco, Coffeefornia
full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

important.

Postby zacharycarlsen on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:43 am

These videos allow friends, family and well-wishers to watch the passion - the dedication - and heart from these barista champions. The format allows people to send their kind words from around the world. We've pulled competitors aside to show them the amount of love, support and gratitude they are receiving via these videos.

44 competitors from forty-four countries have a lot of friends, family and fans who couldn't make it to Tokyo and who are watching the presentations and sending their blessings.

Salvador Benitez Espinosa
"Congratulations. I'm very proud of you. Your Father,"


"muchisimas felicidades! i had smile on my face the hole time, this was great!"


"Felicidades Salvador. I am so proud to watch you competing at the WBC Tokyo. The signature drink looks amazing.
All the competitors of Mexico should be very proud to have you representing your country."


"Salvador,
You did fantastically well!You definitely looked like a PRO,I'm glad You had the chance to perform internationally!"


"you are an example to follow to all mexicans that are driven by love an passion to its craft"


John Muli Makau
Weldone John. We are proud of you and the wonderful performance you gave in Japan.


Thanks to everyone who allowed Katie and I this opportunity to come here and share the World Barista Championship presentations with everyone. The talented, inspiring and dedicated barista champions are being watched and cheered on by thousands who couldn't be here.
Last edited by zacharycarlsen on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zachary Carlsen
stumptown seattle
http://sprudge.com
zacharycarlsen
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:25 am
Location: Portland
full name: Zachary Carlsen
company: Sprudge

Postby bz on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:49 am

no scandinavians?! :shock:
bz
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:49 am
Location: greenville, sc
full name: ben szobody
company: n/a

Postby Rich Westerfield on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:50 am

Nicky Nick,
Zachary can obviously speak for himself and he can do so very articulately and passionately as shown directly above.

Go get some sleep. You seem a bit testy. :D
Rich Westerfield, Co-owner
aldocoffee.com
I'm just here to regulate funkiness.
Rich Westerfield
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby zacharycarlsen on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:52 am

nicky nick?
Zachary Carlsen
stumptown seattle
http://sprudge.com
zacharycarlsen
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:25 am
Location: Portland
full name: Zachary Carlsen
company: Sprudge

Postby roger on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:04 am

Nice work on the coverage. For us industry geeks that couldn't make the trip this is the next best thing. Thanks!

I am I the only one who is cracked up by the fact that the timer is counting by the hundredth of a second? Maybe they are anticipating a photo finish? :lol:
roger
roger
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:11 pm
Location: seattle, wa
full name: Roger Wittmann
company: La Marzocco USA
: http://www.lamarzoccousa.com

Postby nick on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:28 am

Rich Westerfield wrote:Nicky Nick,
Zachary can obviously speak for himself and he can do so very articulately and passionately as shown directly above.

Go get some sleep. You seem a bit testy.

Rich,

Then rather than spending so much energy thinking up witty nicknames for me, maybe you can start your own consumer marketing campaign. Maybe you can sell your cafe and go to a producing country and live in dire poverty, as you suggested that someone else should do.

Zachary and Katie have been working their asses off here, to live up to their promises. Everyone here in Tokyo who was aware of their video-blogging and the fundraising has universally told me that the sponsors "got their money's worth." Your backhanded comment is straight-up insulting, and inappropriate in this thread.

And I'll have you know, my testes are just fine, thank you.
Nick Cho
nick
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:15 pm
Location: San Francisco, Coffeefornia
full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby Aldo1 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:42 am

roger wrote:Nice work on the coverage. For us industry geeks that couldn't make the trip this is the next best thing. Thanks!

I am I the only one who is cracked up by the fact that the timer is counting by the hundredth of a second? Maybe they are anticipating a photo finish? :lol:

lol Roger, I thought similarly, it made me smile. But it made me think that in the event of a tie, shortest time of performace would be a good tie breaker.
Zachary, I cannot overstate how wonderful of a job I think you are doing, and building a world-wide community, too.
Melanie
Managing Owner, Aldo Coffee Co.
Pittsburgh, PA
Aldo1
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
full name: Melanie Westlerfield
company: Aldo Coffee Company
: http://www.aldocoffee.com

Postby onocoffee on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:00 am

Those who know me know that I'm unafraid to comment and offer critique on just about any subject. And while I too was a bit skeptical at first about ZZ.coms' call for donations, especially since I think it should have been the SCAA to pick up their tab, all I know now is what I've seen.

I've spent the past two days on the WBC Stage as a volunteer doing station setup and maintenance, with the occasional technical problem or seizure to deal with. While I've been busy doing what I needed to do, every once in a while I would look up and across the audience to see the ZZ.com crew on their computers and shooting video.

In a nutshell, Zachary and Katie have been working very very hard to deliver the coverage you've either read or watched on the Internet.

Before I left for Japan, I thought that it might be a waste of time and effort. The SCAA/WBC has been uninterested in delivering any sort of effectual coverage or information about the competitions and while they've paid a group to do some sort of documentary on the event, that release is weeks or months away. Zachary and Katie are delivering coverage now.

In addition to working the stage, I've spent quite a bit of time with a number of competitors - all of whom are here on their own and maybe with one or two other people. These are national competitors who don't have the financial or physical support of the obvious teams. Some, like the Ethiopian Champion are here completely alone and without any support from home.

This time has reminded me that these are the baristas why we are volunteering our efforts. These are the competitors with heart who are putting it all on the line in the face of barista giants like Iceland and Norway.

If you take the time to read the comments for each competitor video on ZZ.com you'll see messages of support and goodwill from all over - from their friends, families and customers to Japanese nationals, WBC attendees and the Internet faithful.

The ZZ.com coverage has become bigger that the WBC itself in that it's bringing together an entire planet of people in support of the baristas.

And, to my mind, that makes it all worthwhile.

To Katie and Zach - keep it up. The reach you've provided is beyond anyone's expectations.


.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Towson, MD
full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Jason Haeger on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:31 am

bz wrote:no scandinavians?! :shock:

I noticed that too.

..2012? :shock:
Jason Haeger
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:07 am
Location: Allen, TX
full name: Jason Haeger
company: AJ Coffee Company | EspressoTrainer.com
: http://www.ajcoffeeco.com

Postby Jason Haeger on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:35 am

onocoffee wrote:Those who know me know that I'm unafraid to comment and offer critique on just about any subject. And while I too was a bit skeptical at first about ZZ.coms' call for donations, especially since I think it should have been the SCAA to pick up their tab, all I know now is what I've seen.

I've spent the past two days on the WBC Stage as a volunteer doing station setup and maintenance, with the occasional technical problem or seizure to deal with. While I've been busy doing what I needed to do, every once in a while I would look up and across the audience to see the ZZ.com crew on their computers and shooting video.

In a nutshell, Zachary and Katie have been working very very hard to deliver the coverage you've either read or watched on the Internet.

Before I left for Japan, I thought that it might be a waste of time and effort. The SCAA/WBC has been uninterested in delivering any sort of effectual coverage or information about the competitions and while they've paid a group to do some sort of documentary on the event, that release is weeks or months away. Zachary and Katie are delivering coverage now.

In addition to working the stage, I've spent quite a bit of time with a number of competitors - all of whom are here on their own and maybe with one or two other people. These are national competitors who don't have the financial or physical support of the obvious teams. Some, like the Ethiopian Champion are here completely alone and without any support from home.

This time has reminded me that these are the baristas why we are volunteering our efforts. These are the competitors with heart who are putting it all on the line in the face of barista giants like Iceland and Norway.

If you take the time to read the comments for each competitor video on ZZ.com you'll see messages of support and goodwill from all over - from their friends, families and customers to Japanese nationals, WBC attendees and the Internet faithful.

The ZZ.com coverage has become bigger that the WBC itself in that it's bringing together an entire planet of people in support of the baristas.

And, to my mind, that makes it all worthwhile.

To Katie and Zach - keep it up. The reach you've provided is beyond anyone's expectations.


.

I second many of these feelings. Well stated.
Jason Haeger
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:07 am
Location: Allen, TX
full name: Jason Haeger
company: AJ Coffee Company | EspressoTrainer.com
: http://www.ajcoffeeco.com

Postby xristrettox on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:58 am

Good job Zachary and Katie!

Way to go Heather!!!
Billy Wilson
Portland, Oregon
xristrettox
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Portland, OR
full name: Billy Wilson
company: BARISTA

Postby Matt Riddle on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:15 am

NICE!!!!!

Go Heather!!!!
Matt Riddle
Intelligeesta
Matt Riddle
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
full name: Matt Riddle
company: Intelligentsia Coffee
: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

Postby Jim Saborio on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:25 am

onocoffee wrote:...especially since I think it should have been the SCAA to pick up their tab


Hear hear!
-JIm

...aaannndd the Starbucks down the street just got a Clover
Jim Saborio
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
full name: Jim Saborio
company: Comet Coffee
: http://twitter.com/cometcoffee

Postby Sandy on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:39 am

would it be wrong of me to say that i got all teary eyed watching Heather performance? I don't even have sound on my (work) computer, but watching her perform just made me so encredibly proud.
Awesome job Heather.
Sandy Hon
supervisor, coffee bar operations
Johnson County Community College
Sandy
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
full name: Sandy Hon
company: Johnson County Community College

Postby Sandy on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 am

and i might add how blessed we are to have these vids. very professional work Zak and Katie. I'm so glad you guys have stepped up to the plate to cover this very important event for us.

YOU FREAKIN' ROCK!!!
Sandy Hon
supervisor, coffee bar operations
Johnson County Community College
Sandy
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
full name: Sandy Hon
company: Johnson County Community College

Postby barry on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:59 am

onocoffee wrote:To Katie and Zach - keep it up. The reach you've provided is beyond anyone's expectations.



I checked in yesterday expecting to see "highlights" of a few competitors... HOLY COW! Full 15 minute coverage of just about every performance!!!

OUTSTANDING!

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to sit and watch 'em all, but it's been quite nice to see the ones I have had time to watch.

Great job, Zach & Katie!
barry
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
full name: T. Barry Jarrett
company: Coffee Projects Inc.

Postby Keith on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 am

Perry! Perry! Perry!

Great coverage of the performance! Good job you guys.

Amazing what incredible stuff can be provided by some focused folks funded with donations.
Keith Hamrick
Northbound Coffee
Keith
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:14 am
Location: Mount Shasta, California
full name: Keith Hamrick
company: Northbound Coffee Roasters

Postby sarahdelilah on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 am

Jay, you're right on the money. I got up early (for me, that's a big thing) because I couldn't wait a second longer to go to my computer and see who made the finals. My days this week have become a pattern of running to the computer first thing in the morning to see what had been posted, and staying up late at night to watch the videos. It's been incredibly wonderful.

Katie and Zachary, it's been said a million times and should be said a million more times: You guys are doing an incredible service for the industry as a whole and, more importantly, for the individuals who comprise it. You can bet Barista Magazine is going to give you more money for your efforts in the future, though I would think the WBC would pay your way next year to Copenhagen.

Bravo, bravo, thank you, thank you.
sarah allen
yet another blog: baristamagazine.com/blog
sarahdelilah
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Portland, OR
full name: Sarah Allen
company: Barista Magazine
: http://baristamagazine.com

Postby xristrettox on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:02 am

what kind of equipment are you guys using to record the comps?
Billy Wilson
Portland, Oregon
xristrettox
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Portland, OR
full name: Billy Wilson
company: BARISTA

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest