Ethiopia Sidamo Adem Bedane

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Ethiopia Sidamo Adem Bedane

Postby Alistair Durie on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:55 pm

We've been serving and enjoying this coffee for a couple of months now. I've found it difficult to find much information on it. 49th Parallel and Terroir Coffee ("Ademe Bedane") are the only roasters I can find that carry it. If anyone knows any more about this coffee, or photo's, I would love to know more.

What I've gathered so far:

300 farmers on single acre lots produce this coffee in the red clay soils of the Bonko farm area in the Sidamo region. Adem Bedane is a private washing station that purchases coffee cherry from the farms, typically paying higher prices than often less well-run cooperatives to get better qualities of fruit. This is high grown coffee (great for slow ripening and fine acidity) at 5,000 to well over 6,000 feet. In addition to being certified organic and shade grown, this coffee is vacuum packed at origin to maintain freshness and avoid taints. This coffee has a brilliant floral aroma with flavours of apricot and candy lemon. A complex and refreshing cup.
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Re: Ethiopia Sidamo Adem Bedane

Postby SL28ave on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:55 pm

I would love to know more too.
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student

Postby Mike Gregory on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 pm

This is a beautiful coffee indeed. I also am often faced with a bit of a challenge finding more info on the Ethiopian lots these roasters are sourcing. Have you tried the published phone number for Adem Bedane Oda ? (++251-1) 556100 / 556099

mike g.
Mike Gregory

full name: Mike Gregory
company: Independent

Postby Tim Dominick on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Volcafe Specialty imports some of this and has good intel on the operation. Perhaps a call to them would shed some light. Tim Chapdelaine wrote a piece on it for a VSC newsletter or email but I can't seem to locate the story.

We had <5 bgs of it last year and sat on the current crop preship sample for too long and missed the boat. C'est la Vie!
Tim Dominick

full name: Tim Dominick
company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
: www.sacred-grounds.com

Postby sweetmarias on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:00 pm

Alistair wrote:We've been serving and enjoying this coffee for a couple of months now. I've found it difficult to find much information on it. 49th Parallel and Terroir Coffee ("Ademe Bedane") are the only roasters I can find that carry it. If anyone knows any more about this coffee, or photo's, I would love to know more.

What I've gathered so far:

300 farmers on single acre lots produce this coffee in the red clay soils of the Bonko farm area in the Sidamo region. Adem Bedane is a private washing station that purchases coffee cherry from the farms, typically paying higher prices than often less well-run cooperatives to get better qualities of fruit. This is high grown coffee (great for slow ripening and fine acidity) at 5,000 to well over 6,000 feet. In addition to being certified organic and shade grown, this coffee is vacuum packed at origin to maintain freshness and avoid taints. This coffee has a brilliant floral aroma with flavours of apricot and candy lemon. A complex and refreshing cup.

Adem Bedane is the private mill, and not one, but several. Bonko is an area, not far from Aleti Wondo, which should be in google earth. Adem Bedane has a mill in Shilcho at the town tefri kela, and i think bonko is not many km from there
let's cup through this ... together.
http://www.sweetmarias.com | http://www.coffeeshrub.com
sweetmarias

full name: thompson r owen
company: sweet maria's
: www.sweetmarias.com
: www.coffeeshrub.com