mypressi TWIST

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

mypressi TWIST

Postby Gabe Smentek on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:22 pm

(Does this belong in the espresso machine section?)

Anyone play with it yet? I've heard some good things, but I don't know...
Gabe Smentek

full name: Gabe S
company: Oren's Daily Roast
: www.orensdailyroast.com

Re: mypressi TWIST

Postby andynewbom on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:28 pm

we have been testing it since it was a prototype. It makes very good espresso with a good Barista using it. It is a great tool for portable espresso.
Andy Newbom
serious coffee.
andynewbom

full name: Andy Newbom
company: Barefoot Coffee

Postby SL28ave on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:08 pm

I want to give one a whirl (better yet, a twist, hahahahaaaaaaa).

Can someone do me a favor and weigh an empty N2O cartridge?
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student

Postby Andre Vornbrock on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:00 am

I'm REALLY interested in a semi-portable small table top version with a refillable nitrogen canister. The disposable 4-shot current idea is nice for extreme portability needs, but I think there might be a market for something in between.

I'm sure with enough fittings I could modify the current version to hook up to a standard nitrogen bottle. Has anyone tried this?
Andre Vornbrock

full name: Andre Vornbrock
company: EspressoForge
: http://www.espressoforge.com

Postby Greg H on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Gabe,

We have been playing around with the mypressi a lot. It really does make a great shot.

We were stacking it up side by side with our Marzocco Paddle and the shot quality held it's own.

Pre-heating is the key to great shots, I soak the basket in hot water for a time and also pour boiling water into the reservoir that I then dump out and replace with fresh hot water immediately before I pull the shot.

Dialing the grind is the same as with any machine--it has to be spot on.

I used the mypressi when staying at a remote lake cabin and took some pre-ground coffee. The grind was to fine and I was stuck with over-extraction. It was still pretty dang nice to have espresso out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm thinking about getting a hario skerton to compliment the mypressi.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.hario_skerton.php
Greg H

full name: Greg Hjort
company: DOMA Coffee Roasting Company
: www.domacoffee.com

Postby phaelon56 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:57 pm

I bought a Skerton a few weeks back and have been very impressed with its performance for drip coffee. My Mypressi arrived today and is unpacked but have not tested yet. There is a good thread over on home-barista.com with extensive discussion.

Anyone have an idea as to whether these little cartridges will make it through airport security okay? I'm leaving in a few days for Hong Kong and mainland China and would love to take it with me but only if it won't create airport hassles.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Gary McGann on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:07 am

HI Owen -cartridges wont make it through airport security -guess this reduces the portability of the devise!
Gary McGann

full name: Gary Mc Gann
company: SCAE

Postby Greg H on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 pm

Mypressi glitch found: the nitrogen cartridge does not hold its pressure longer than a day.
For example: If I put in a fresh cartridge in the morning, and then pull two shots, when I come back the next day the cartridge is dead. They state you can get 4-8 pulls.
We're finding with multiple Mypressi that we only get 4 if done within hours of each other. But if we pull only one shot on a fresh cartridge, the cartridge will be dead the next morning.

Result: the first person we sold one of these to called us back with this complaint: "I only drink one shot a morning but the cartridge is always dead the following morning. I don't want this thing if I have to use a new cartridge each day."

Translation: I want my money back this is not worth it!

Am I missing something here?

And no, we're not getting recreational with the extra nitro... :D
Greg H

full name: Greg Hjort
company: DOMA Coffee Roasting Company

Postby Andy Schecter on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 pm

Gary McGann wrote:HI Owen -cartridges wont make it through airport security -guess this reduces the portability of the devise!

We all thought that, until this ingenious guy came up with a workaround.
-AndyS
Schectermatic(tm), the oldest, most trusted brand of espresso grinder shnozzola
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Andy Schecter

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Greg H wrote:Mypressi glitch found: the nitrogen cartridge does not hold its pressure longer than a day.

Am I missing something here?

This is a known issue with some of the earlier units due to variances in the specific length of the cartridges and there is a fix

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/search.php?t=12671

If I recall correctly the Mypressi people either did or are in the process of making a change that will make the unit more tolerant of such cartridge variations but you'd likely want to speak with them directly to confirm that. Ping Stephen O'Brien at Mypressi by finding him in that same home-barista thread (his user handle is mypressi). I had to get some help getting their online order system to accommodate the price I'd been granted by being on their original pre-order list and he was most responsive to my emails. I'm sure he can help and/or inform.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee