FDA permit for roasting?

roasting & roastery operations

FDA permit for roasting?

Postby andynewbom on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:07 am

We have been trying to confirm whether or not a coffee roasting plant is required to get some sort of "FDA Permit" for roasting coffee since it is food. There is no such thing on the FDA website but an FDA person said that a coffee roastery needs to be "certified" by the FDA. There does not seem to be any documents on this or code.

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone know of a coffee roastery that is "Certified by the FDA"? We already registered with the FDA as a coffee and tea processor. I would love to talk with anyone who is certified by the FDA.
Andy Newbom
serious coffee.
andynewbom

full name: Andy Newbom
company: Barefoot Coffee

Re: FDA permit for roasting?

Postby Edwin Martinez on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:00 pm

obviously not heavily enforced, but it is required since 2003. This is aka as bio terrorism act.
For exporting green coffee from Guate and into U.S. I need to register any facility where the coffee has been, is currently located and is going to. I just register drymills, our farm and US warehouse. Also use other US green warehouse FDA registration numbers.

http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomplia ... efault.htm

You can register here. I would guess it might take 10 min.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplia ... 073706.htm

Edwin
Edwin D. Martinez
Edwin Martinez

Re: FDA permit for roasting?

Postby sutono on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:56 pm

yes - we have been inspected by the FDA. It is basically a glorified health inspection, though the rules were a little different than the city of Chicago. I'm not sure how we showed up on their radar, but we've been certified to not kill people with coffee since 2010. It was part of the Patriot Act, I'm told.
Tony
Metropolis Coffee Company
Chicago
sutono