Problem with heating element on 2 group Linea

la marzocco, synesso, simonelli, cimbali etc

Problem with heating element on 2 group Linea

Postby theotherone on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:01 pm

I recently bought and rebuilt a 2001 2 group Linea EE. I hooked up everything including the PID and powered it up, but I'm not getting the heating element in the brew boiler to turn on.

The element in the steam boiler seems to be working perfectly, so there is definitely power coming in.

I tested the continuity of the brew boiler heating element, and it read approximately 35 (which is good, I think). I've seen the element which is in good shape.

I've gone over the wiring to check on the connections, as well as confirming the schematics.

Also, I checked the fuse on top of the group and even tried bypassing it, but still no rise in temperature on the brew boiler.

Anyone have suggestions? I would very much appreciate any and all advice. Getting a tad frustrated here.
Jonathan S. Jarrow
Harbinger Coffee, LLC

"Happy Martinique! Hospitable land!
In a new world, you were the first
To gather and fertilize this delightful Asiatic berry,
And, in a French soil, to ripen its Ambrosia!
theotherone

full name: Jonathan Jarrow
company: Harbinger Coffee, LLC
: www.harbingercoffee.com

Re: Problem with heating element on 2 group Linea

Postby geir oglend on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:07 pm

IMHO you might need to activate the controller. Depending on the unit, refer to your manual.
Set the upper limit to 205F and hit run? Make sure the parameters are set as well.
If you are using a Fuji I can send you the info, good luck. geir
geir oglend

full name: geir oglend
company: drumroaster Coffee
: www.drumroaster.com

Postby theotherone on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:34 pm

I am using a Fuji. I'd love that info. I can't actually get it to switch to RUN, it won't allow me to in the first block. My friend's Fuji works though, and our parameters are identical. My email is jonathan@harbingercoffee.com. Thanks!
Jonathan S. Jarrow
Harbinger Coffee, LLC

"Happy Martinique! Hospitable land!
In a new world, you were the first
To gather and fertilize this delightful Asiatic berry,
And, in a French soil, to ripen its Ambrosia!
theotherone

full name: Jonathan Jarrow
company: Harbinger Coffee, LLC
: www.harbingercoffee.com

Postby PatrickSmith on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:40 am

At this point it sounds like you have issue pretty well dialed in, but if you've checked the schematic to ensure that your wiring matches, checked connections for tightness, and checked the element for continuity, the issue is almost certainly with the controller. In addition to checking controller settings, you might want to double check that all wires going to the controller are in the right spots--especially if there are empty posts on it. Hopefully if you can get it to switch to "run" you'll be off to the races.
PatrickSmith

full name: Patrick Smith
company: UTOPIAN Coffee
: utopiancoffee.com