Dark Lord VS Black Cat

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

Dark Lord VS Black Cat

Postby jmc on Tue May 02, 2006 6:49 pm

Hey Coffeed Massive, I wasn't sure where to put this, but I guess it is espresso related, kind of...anytime that alcohol and coffee intersect I'm glad to be part of it! :twisted:
If you happen to be in the Chicago area next week,
stop by the Map Room (http://www.maproom.com)next Wednesday, May 10th from 5-7PM, Nick Floyd of Three Floyds Brewing Company will be serving small samples of Dark Lord Imperial Stout. Following a taste of this huge beer, I highly recommend you enjoy a shot of Black Cat Espresso pulled by Matt Riddle or Ellie Matuszak.(2006 United States Barista Champion, and 2006 4th place this year, runner up in 2005 respectively.) Dark Lord (http://www.threefloyds.com) is a highly rated stout and is very hard to get a taste of; and they happen to use some Black Cat in the mash to brew it. This is a bad ass beer bar, 21 and over only, no cover! Stop by have some beer, some espresso, and maybe some more beer! Cheers!
Jay Cunningham
intelligentsiacoffee.com
jmc

full name: Jay Cunningham
company: Intelligentsia
: www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
: www.directtradecoffee.com

Postby Robert Goble on Tue May 02, 2006 7:11 pm

Man....
Would love to see some pics from this event and read some follow-up posts - particularly concerning Black Cat's role in the mash, and how the two drinks pair up. Please keep us in the know.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

full name: Robert Goble
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com

Postby Mike Gregory on Wed May 03, 2006 11:20 am

Shit Jay - any possible way to get some of that Dark Lord shipped out to Seattle?
Mike Gregory

full name: Mike Gregory
company: Independent

Postby jmc on Wed May 03, 2006 1:48 pm

You will have bottle #3 if I can get my grubby little hands on some...(One for me, one for big Chris in the ATL, and one for y'all...)I meant to drive down to the brewery last weekend and secure myself a few cases but I couldn't make it.
Oh yeah, here is the flyer:
Jay Cunningham
intelligentsiacoffee.com
jmc

Postby Duck on Sat May 20, 2006 4:07 am

How was this event? It sounded very cool.
Aaron Duckworth
Kansas City, MO USA
http://coffeewithaduck.com/
Duck

full name: Aaron Duckworth
company: Coffee with A. Duck
: http://coffeewithaduck.com/
: http://twitter.com/A_Duck

Postby jmc on Tue May 30, 2006 12:30 pm

Dasein wrote:Man....
Would love to see some pics from this event and read some follow-up posts - particularly concerning Black Cat's role in the mash, and how the two drinks pair up. Please keep us in the know.

I am absolutely terrible at documenting stuff so I have to apologize; I don't have any good photos and I don't recall there being many pics being snapped. :(

From Nick Floyd himself in regard to the brewing process:
Finely ground Black Cat is added during the "mash in" step of our brewing process. All the cracked barley (malt) & espresso is dropped into a big mash tun were the malt is hydrated with 160 degree water and mixed into a thick porridge-like liquid called the "mash" which is allowed to rest for 30 minutes, enzymes in the malt convert the starches in the barley to a sweet liquid called wort. The wort is then separated from the barley husks & solids using the false (slotted) bottom of the mash tun which is very much like a coffee maker. The wort is then extracted into the brew kettle where it is boiled at 212 degrees for 3 hours. After the boil the wort is chilled then pumped into a fermentor were the yeast eats all the sugars and creates the alcohol.

Duck wrote:How was this event? It sounded very cool.

It was great fun. Intelli Massif was in full effect and the night just felt really nice. The beer was interesting, I guess it needs about a year to rest before the flavors are balanced and a bit more melded, but I thought it was good. Very sweet, super chewy, with a lot of molasses, plum and green apple notes (The die hard beer snobs were complaining about the apple, but I guess that is a direct result of the youth of the beer-sorta the equivalent of making espresso the day after you roast.) Compared to the Dark Lord, the kitty was a refreshing, peanut butter choco-blast. It definitely didn't have the clarity that it has in our lab here at the Roasting Works, but tasted really nice.
Matt was rocking the bar and it was great to see people holding little cups of Dark Lord in one hand and little Black Cat cups in the other. He made about 150 doubles in the two hours...the highlight for me was standing up, teetering on a rickety bar stool and yelling at the top of my lungs toasting Matt and Nick and wishing him well in Berne...

I am talking with 3 Floyds about doing a limited run (22oz bottles) of coffee stout this fall, or as Nick Floyd suggested, a Bizzarro Coffee Bean Baltic Porter (Don't ask, I'm not sure!) might be more fun and definitely stranger. I'd like to have a more formal, quieter tasting, and next year for the Dark Lord I am definitely going to reserve a few cases (If possible) for the 2008 match up.
Jay Cunningham
intelligentsiacoffee.com
jmc

Re: Dark Lord VS Black Cat

Postby jmc on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 am

Jay Cunningham
intelligentsiacoffee.com
jmc