2006 Nicaragua Cup of Excellence

coffee competitions, auctions, best of panama, etc

Postby Peter G on Sat May 13, 2006 5:39 am

Hello All-

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up- we finished the Nicaragua Cup of Excellence yesterday.

We had some awesome coffees, fo sho. A couple of big, muscular fruit punches in the palate, and a few more refined, very floral and clean, delicate coffees. The winning farmers were quite a cast of characters.

Most of the winners came from Dipilto/Nueva Segovia, which is interesting and good, because the idea of regionality in Nicaragua is a relatively little discussed topic.

Anywho, more later, off to Matagalpa with the Intelligentsians and a few others to visit some partner co-ops.

Peter G
Peter Giuliano
Specialty Coffee Association of America
Peter G

full name: Peter Giuliano
company: Specialty Coffee Association of America

Postby SL28ave on Sat May 13, 2006 7:07 am

Very cool! I can't wait to see the list of winners and of course cup them.

Mazriz has most often corresponded with having my favorite and sometimes Matagalpa. So it's no surprise to me that their north-easterly neighbor Nueva Segovia had the winner. It's really good to hear.

Did you find any of that "burnt orange" aromatic flare? I won't ask you any more though, because we're both bidders ;)
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student

Postby Steve on Sat May 13, 2006 7:43 am

I love Nicaragua COE, last years comp was fantastic, cant wait for this years samples.
Stephen Leighton
http://www.hasbean.co.uk
Steve

Postby Klaus on Sat May 13, 2006 1:56 pm

Cool to hear news. Was my boss behaving down there?? He's the tall guy. Correction: The tallest guy there. You couldn't miss him. For sure ;-)

Klaus Thomsen
The Coffee Collective
Blog here
Klaus

full name: Klaus Thomsen
company: The Coffee Collective
: http://www.coffeecollective.dk
: http://coffeecollective.blogspot.com

Postby fleck on Sat May 13, 2006 11:07 pm

klaus,

he's not behaving at all! we only got in a little trouble last night. BUT, we both have an early flight out of managua in the morning and he opted to return to granada after all day on the road so he could stay up all night and head straight to the airport in the morning. i, on the other hand, was a good little boy and am about to crawl into my bed in my hotel across from the airport.

ok, maybe i'm a little jealous of soren ... granada is way cooler than managua for sure.

on the coffee tip: some really cool shit on the tables. lots of clean, sweet, floral, citrus cups. not as much red fruit or cherry. a few traveled off that path a bit with a little more texture and punch: burgandy, marmalade, melon. should be an interesting auction.

went up to the vasquez coop today in madriz (somoto) and met with those dudes. we bought their coffee last year with a handful of others and they were very hospitable when i showed up. they submitted again this year and came in eighth (fifth last year), so hopefully they can continue to push that quality with a little more help from the coe auction.

anyway, i feel like a truck ran over me. granada was in the 90s with VERY high humidity the entire week, making cupping a little rough. i also over did it a little bit today climbing up steep ass hills and just wanting to keep going with no traction on my boots at all. i could have skied down that hill. this is all after celebrating last night and only getting about two hours of sleep. on top of that i picked up a GNARLY sunburn swimming yesterday ... flying is gonna be so awesome tomorrow :/

good luck in berne klaus...i won't be making it this year. take care of our lizzy for us.

talk soon,
stephen
stephen e. vick
chicago, illinois
svick[at]intelligentsiacoffee[dot]com
fleck

full name: stephen vick
company: intelligentsia coffee
: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

Postby Mike Strumpf on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:33 am

I know some of us are in the thick of tasting and evaluating the samples for the upcoming Nicaragua COE auction, and I hope everyone is having fun. I don't expect anyone to post up cupping notes and which lots they are going to bid on before the auction, but now we have a place to gab once the auction goes down.

Everyone should keep their eyes on the lot sizes. The COE staff just received updated lot info, and many of the lot sizes listed on the website are now updated for accuracy. There are also two more farms that submitted their organic certificates, bringing the number of organic farms to 4.

I love the fact that there are so many certified Organic farms that are making it into the finals of the Nicaragua auctions year after year. Bolivia does a good job also, but I believe Nicaragua is the only country to ever have their #1 be organic (2004- Los Delirios)- please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Mike Strumpf
Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Co.
Mike Strumpf

full name: Mike Strumpf
company: Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Co.
: http://www.swisswater.com