USBC Marketing Task Force Seeks Additional Members

barista competitions, trade shows, jams, tastings

Postby coffeetaster on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:20 pm

The United Stares Barista Championship (USBC) Committees purpose is to promote the growth, excellence & recognition in the Batista profession; To coordinate regional competitions and the national championship annually; to grow barista's knowledge of and expertise in, the preparation and serving of specialty espresso coffee through competitions; to establish a greater interaction between the barista and the consumer, thereby developing a sense of community in which ideas and information about specialty coffee drinks are exchanged; to train and certify quality judges for barista competitions.

The USBC Marketing Task Force is to represent the various facets of the espresso/Barista segment of he specialty coffee industry and provide expertise for marketing, public relations and advertising functions for the national competition and regional barista competitions.

Membership shall be from SCAA member companies in good standing. Membership in the USBC Committee is on a voluntary basis.

USBC Marketing Task Force members should have a minimum of two years experience in the specialty coffee industry and previous experience with Barista competitions is recommended.

USBCC members' responsibilities:
-Must attend at least two meetings annually; members must also participate in at least two telephone conference calls annually
-Participate in creation and development of marketing campaigns for the national competition and regional competitions.
-Fulfill commitments to the SCAA strategic plan
-Act as a role model in the industry through participation in the SCAA and USBC
-Certification as a competition judge is not a requirement for this task force.

SCAA members who are interested in serving on the USBC Committee should send a Letter of Interest ? to: SCAA, Attn: USBC Committee Marketing Task Force, 330 Golden Shore Suite 50, Long Beach CA90802
Spencer Turer

Specialty coffee is a matter of choice; not a beverage of chance!"
coffeetaster

full name: Spencer Turer
company: Coffee Analysts
: www.coffeeanalysts.com

Postby onocoffee on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:25 pm

While I certaily have been enjoying a life away from the volunteership...

Does membership mean one cannot compete in the USBC?
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Mark Prince on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:01 pm

Ready to

"Act as a role model in the industry through participation in the SCAA and USBC " if you take it on, Jay?

Mark
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby onocoffee on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm

Mark-
If "role model" means that I can no longer speak my mind about my concerns within our industry, be a voice for those afraid to speak up for themselves, explore the limits of coffee as cuisine, give presentations that engage and entertain an audience and have to tow the "party line" regardless of the situation...

Then the answer would be "No."

However, what can be expected is a consistent voice and platform. No wishy-washy-ness about things. Agree or disagree, people know my stance on many issues.

And that's not something you see a lot of these days.
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Postby Ric Rhinehart on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:28 pm

I must say that I would welcome the participation from Jay. An active and passionate volunteer base is what makes this Association work, and as I have said so often, where everybody thinks alike, nobody thinks very much.
Ric Rhinehart

Postby coffeetaster on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:20 pm

As a USBC committee member you are required to judge regional and national events, thus would be ineligiable to compete.

Jay, based on your experience and passion for the art and science of coffee preparation I feel that you would be a very dynamic member of the committee. The marketing task force goal is to provide leadership and direction for the marketing functions only, of the USBC national and the regional events. Thus we are seeking candidates who have a strong background in marketing, advertising, and public relations and or publishing. Becasue of this skill set required we are not requiring these individuals to actively judge competitions.

Jay, if you are truly interested in marketing please complete a letter of interest and you will be professionaly considered by the USBC committee for membership. We have several other task forces being formed; equipment, judges training, and rule/regualtions. You may desire one of these other task forces more than marketing.

I welcome your interest, and wish you the best of luck!
Last edited by coffeetaster on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer Turer

Specialty coffee is a matter of choice; not a beverage of chance!"
coffeetaster

full name: Spencer Turer
company: Coffee Analysts
: www.coffeeanalysts.com

Postby Troy Reynard on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Jay Caragay - The Charles Barkley of the SCAA!
Troy Reynard
Espresso Gladiator
"This IS Cosmic Cup!
http://www.cosmiccupcoffee.com
Troy Reynard

full name: Troy Reynard
company: Cosmic Cup Coffee Company
: www.cosmiccupcoffee.com

Postby onocoffee on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:45 pm

coffeetaster wrote:As a USBC committee member you are required to judge regional and national events, thus would be ineligiable to compete.

Thank you for the kind words. However, at this time, based on the criteria above, I would not be an appropriate candidate.
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Postby bz on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:47 am

this phrase in the above purpose statement intrigues:

to establish a greater interaction between the barista and the consumer

i never knew it said that.